Are Almonds Good For Weight Loss? You might be asking this especially if you love almonds. In this article, you will learn all there is to know about almonds and see whether adding almonds in your weight loss diet can help lose weight.
So Are Almonds Good For Weight Loss? Keep reading to find out.
Almonds are among the world’s most popular tree nuts, and they are high in antioxidants, vitamin E, protein, and fiber.1https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-proven-benefits-of-almonds#TOC_TITLE_HDR_11
This nutrient-rich nut is an excellent addition to any diet since it is a versatile ingredient linked to several health benefits.
What are the Benefits of Eating Almonds?
- Massive amount of nutrients: Almonds are very popular tree nuts. They are high in healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber, protein, and various important nutrients.
- High quantity of antioxidants: Almonds are high in antioxidants that can protect your cells from oxidative damage, a major contributor to aging and disease.22https://www.hindustantimes.com/photos/lifestyle/how-to-let-go-of-a-negative-thought-therapist-shares-tips-101696944610000.html[/mfn]
- High in vitamin E: Almonds are among the world’s best sources of vitamin E. Getting plenty of vitamin E from foods is linked to numerous health benefits.
- Assist in blood sugar control: Almonds are extremely high in magnesium, a mineral that many people don’t get enough of. High magnesium intake may offer major improvements for metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.
- Regulates blood pressure levels: Low magnesium levels are strongly linked to high blood pressure, indicating that almonds can help manage blood pressure.
- Lower blood cholesterol levels: Eating one or two handfuls of almonds per day can lead to mild reductions in LDL (bad) cholesterol, potentially reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Prevent harmful oxidation of LDL cholesterol: LDL (bad) cholesterol can become oxidized, which is a crucial step in the development of atherosclerosis. Snacking on almonds may significantly reduce oxidized LDL.
- Reduces hunger: Nuts are high in protein and fiber. Studies show that eating almonds and other nuts can increase fullness and help prevent overeating.
- Effective for weight loss: Though almonds are high in calories, eating them doesn’t seem to promote weight gain. Some studies even suggest the opposite, showing that almonds can enhance weight loss.
So Really, Are Almonds Good For Weight Loss?
As you have seen in one of the functions of almonds I have given above, almonds are effective for weight loss. Why? Read on to know.
Nuts contain several nutrients that your body struggles to break down and digest. Your body does not absorb about 6% of the calories in nuts. Additionally, some evidence suggests that eating nuts can boost metabolism slightly.
Due to their satiating properties, nuts are a great addition to an effective weight loss diet. Quality human research supports this. A review of 64 clinical trials and 14 meta-analyses reported that almonds were the only nut that showed a small but significant reduction in body weight and fat mass.
Another study including 100 overweight women found that those consuming almonds lost more weight than those on a nut-free diet. They also showed improvements in waist circumference and other health markers.
It should be noted that both this study and the one above required participants to follow low-calorie diets and eat almonds. Despite being high in fat, almonds are definitely a weight-loss-friendly food.
Almonds and other nuts are very high in calories. So, it is important to be mindful when snacking on almonds and other nuts. As with all foods, moderation is key.
So How Should You Incorporate Almonds into Your Diet for Effective Loss?
Samaddar, the Regional Head-Dietetics, Max Healthcare – Delhi says over a telephonic conversation with HT Digital that as far as weight loss is concerned, almonds help in two ways. “Any weight loss food should give you a lot of satiety that almonds can provide you.
Also, the food should be high in protein because it not only initiates weight loss but also increases metabolism. Almonds being a good source of protein and fiber work on both counts” says the nutritionist.
Besides, almonds also reduce bad cholesterol in our body which is a huge health benefit. In a study, researchers found that having a handful of almonds decreases LDL or bad cholesterol by 4.4%. According to Smaddar, 28-30 gm or 22-23 almonds must be consumed every day to reap their benefits.
Ideal Time For Eating Almonds:
While you may be tempted to have some cookies or namkeen when you feel hungry in between meals, substituting unhealthy snacks with almonds is a good idea. One can have a handful of them as a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack to keep hunger pangs at bay while packing a nutritional punch.
Ways to Add Almonds To Your Diet:
Samaddar also suggests ways to include almonds in the diet:
- Have them raw: The most simple and effective way to have almonds is to eat them raw or roasted.3https://www.healthshots.com/fitness/weight-loss/heres-why-almonds-should-be-a-part-of-your-weight-loss-diet/ As mentioned above around 22-23 almonds would provide you satiety and serve as the perfect snacking option. You can also soak them before eating as it can help you absorb more nutrients. However, Samaddar advises not to peel them as by doing that a lot of fiber content is lost.
- Powder them and add to your porridge: Another way to ensure you have your daily dose of almonds is to powder them and keep them. You can add it to your porridge or any other dessert you like. Get creative and think of ways to add healthy nuts to your meals.
- Add them to your smoothie or shake: For fitness-conscious people or young adolescents who exercise or go to the gym, they can have an almond smoothie to pack a nutritional punch. Add one or two tbsp of almonds to your favorite fruit smoothie to get those extra proteins, micronutrients, and a lot of fiber.
- Almond milk: For those who are lactose intolerant, having almond milk is a good option. It is super easy to make too. Soak almonds, blend them, and enjoy the milk.
So, What are the Benefits of Almonds for Weight Loss?
A recent study from the University of South Australia found that a handful of almonds can help prevent weight gain. Snacking on 30–50 grams of almonds could persuade people to eat fewer kilojoules per day, according to research on how almonds can change human hunger.
People who chose almonds over a snack that contained the same amount of energy in carbohydrates consumed 300 fewer kilojoules, most of which were from junk food, as per the study published in the European Journal of Nutrition. Almonds are high in protein, fiber, and saturated fats, all of which add to the satiating properties of this nut.
As per the researchers of the study, eating almonds also contributes to reduced levels of C-peptide responses as well as increased levels of glucagon, pancreatic polypeptide responses, and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide responses.
Improved insulin sensitivity and a decreased risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease are two benefits of C-peptide responses. Both pancreatic polypeptide and glucagon aid in weight loss, and slow digestion, which may lead to a decrease in calorie intake.
Are There Any Downsides to Adding Almonds to Your Weight Loss Plan?
In case you might be wondering if there are any side effects to adding almonds into your diet plans and meals as a whole? Well, there kinda is.
Of course, we know that too much of everything is not good for anyone, and the same goes for food. Over-eating any stuff, no matter how edible and beneficial it is to the human body, is not good for the body, and this goes for almonds as well.
Almonds do a whole lot of good to the body but mind the portion size though! This powerhouse of nutrients is an excellent addition to your weight-loss diet and serves as the perfect weight-loss snack. However, it can also be a problem if consumed in excess!
While almonds are touted as a good addition to your weight loss diet, they can also contribute to weight gain. Confused, yet? So, almonds happen to contain a lot of calories as well. Over-consumption of almonds can sabotage your plans to lose weight.
So, moderation is key here! Don’t go overboard with eating too much almonds. A handful of nuts should be enough to help you lose weight, as cited by several studies.
Also, make sure to avoid almonds if you are allergic to them.
The Bottom Line
Almonds are nuts that are highly nutritious and can provide a lot of health benefits. They are rich in fiber, protein, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, and vitamin E.
A handful of these nuts can make you feel full, contributing to your weight loss journey. However, you have to eat them in moderation to avoid problems. Also, consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet.
Given that almonds are a tree nut, which is one of the 9 most common allergens, it may be important to avoid almonds if you are allergic to them. It’s important to note that most current studies have focused on the effects of raw almonds as opposed to other almond products. More research is needed in this area.
Almonds contain lots of healthy fats, fiber, protein, magnesium, and vitamin E. The health benefits of almonds include lower blood sugar levels, reduced blood pressure, and lower cholesterol levels. They can also reduce hunger and promote weight loss.
Overall, almonds are as close to perfect as a food can get, with some considerations.
In 2021, a scientific review was conducted of 62 studies of the effect of almonds on weight. Among the findings was that not only are almonds one of the best snacks for weight loss, but even in comparison to other nuts such as pistachios, walnuts, and peanuts, only almonds decreased body and fat mass. They're also relatively low in calories so you don't need to worry about extra pounds creeping on once you start eating more almonds. And since they don't contain any saturated fat, they're heart-healthy too. In short, almonds can help you lose belly fat.
Frequently Asked Questions on Whether Almonds Are Good for Weight Loss
In 2021, a scientific review was conducted of 62 studies of the effect of almonds on weight. Among the findings was that not only are almonds one of the best snacks for weight loss, but even in comparison to other nuts such as pistachios, walnuts, and peanuts, only almonds decreased body and fat mass.
They're also relatively low in calories so you don't need to worry about extra pounds creeping on once you start eating more almonds. And since they don't contain any saturated fat, they're heart-healthy too. In short, almonds can help you lose belly fat.